Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Good or Good Enough?

I had a conversation with a friend several days ago. We were discussing story critique and judgment about when a story is "good enough." The question came up (in my head) about the point of the whole endeavor. Each person has their own fantastic goal. Some strive for genius, beauty, meaning. Some want fame, cash, prizes, critical acclaim ...

Is it possible to publish stories which are both accessible to a large audience and artistically accomplished?

Here's my point: when do we decide our story is finished? How perfect does it need to be to deserve an audience? Is there equal value between working toward our version of perfection and stopping when we've reached a level of marketability? One road leads to insanity, but I'm honestly not sure which one.

This reminds me of those other folks: writers truly motivated by the desire to create. They toil, seek endlessly to improve on structure, character, dialogue, et cetera--intending to reach the pinnacle of each aspect. Is this purity laudable? Crippling? It seems it doesn't matter how accomplished a writer they are, they remain unsatisfied. They never let go completely, and perspective becomes a weak alternative to the highest standard. This could even be a custody issue. Boundaries, right? Who does the story belong to, ultimately? If we don't write with the intention to share, then why?

I admire anyone who can write a story of whatever length which draws an audience. My goals with writing fall somewhere closer to center along the spectrum. I want to write thought-provoking, well-crafted stories scads of people clamor to read. Do I want to get paid for them? Heck, yeah. Would I sell my soul for a multiple-project contract? Ask me when that becomes a remote possibility, and I might have an answer.*

As always, I have plenty of questions and no real answer. C'est la pee. ;)

*For another time, perhaps: the question of e-publishing in the new digital world of trade books. Is print and the associated old-world gauntlet even necessary anymore? Everyone has an opinion, right?

7 comments:

  1. Lately I have been leaning more toward the "I can't write as well as (fill in the blank), so why even try? I need to get myself out of this, and fast.

    and re: e-publishing, I've been reading this blog for a while: http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/ he has some interesting things to say about the topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not written any stories as of late, no, but musings. I can still tell you, sometimes long stories are a good thing, but if too drawn they may repel an audience. Also, what makes a good story good is originality (which is kind of hard, considering many ideas have been used for centuries now). Wouldn't you say?

    Where've you been, also. I missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Brandie--Oh, man, have I been in that boat. In particular, when I compare myself to writers I actually know. (There are so many good writers out there!) For some reason, I don't psyche myself out over Alice Hoffman, or Max Brooks. They're so above where I am, I just feel inspired and sigh to myself with longing. :)
    I wish I had a solution for you--if it helps, I've read your writing, and you really don't need to compare yourself to anyone. You have a flavor all your own. Seriously. Get back in the saddle and share your flavor.

    Thanks for the JA Konrath link! I'd forgotten about that site--thanks for the reminder, chica.

    @Shigune--Hey, girly. Good to know you're still musing, still thinking about writing. Originality is an illusion, I think, for the reason you mention. If we judge our stories solely by plot, then yeah--they've all been told before. I've heard somewhere there are two basic story plots: A stranger comes to town, and ... crap. I can't remember the other. *laughs* But my point is, our voice makes each story original. I can't write like you, and you can't write like that guy over there. Or that other guy. But we do struggle with finding that "new" angle, don't we? Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie. Somehow I missed this post when you did it. (Probably because my dashboard is in a traffic jam of overload.) I'm glad I caught it today because I always love reading your words.
    (The second basic plot is "leaving home".)
    I think too many writers shy away from literary fiction. That's not a known fact by any means, I'm only basing it on what I read by people like myself trying to learn the craft. Seems like everyone wants to write the next big hit instead of the timeless classic.
    I love reading a story that stays with me, that makes me think, that gives me connections beyond the written word. I love honesty, soulfulness and poetry. I love symbolism and morals and change even in very small doses. I love the art of writing more than the craft.

    Another wonderful post Laurie! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Pam--
    I always appreciate your take on whatever subject I blather on about; always thoughtful, always insightful.
    This is well-put (and I'd bet money you're a poet, too):
    "I love reading a story that stays with me, that makes me think, that gives me connections beyond the written word. I love honesty, soulfulness and poetry. I love symbolism and morals and change even in very small doses. I love the art of writing more than the craft."

    I think some writers are intimidated by literary fictions because of the lofty subjects, the intricacies of character, the insights into the universal ... When I start to freak out about it, I remind myself the difference between genre and literature is the focus. Literature must have plot, and genre has character development, large questions asked and answered. All stories evoke time and place, and theme. We're all one happy family. At least, I like to think so. I love both, so whichever type of story you choose to tell, I'll be there waiting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself so often guilty of the crime of over-editing, especially short pieces. I recently had a piece accepted for publication that had been edited so much I went back to the original version before submitting. Within two weeks, I had an acceptance on it. Lesson learned: sometimes, trust your instincts. Sometimes, the message matters. Thanks for yet another thought-provoking post, lady. :)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane--first, congratulations on getting your story published! Woop!

    Interesting that you tend to over-edit your shorter stories. Where's this instinct from? How do you approach the longer ones? How DO you know when to stop? I could use any tips you wanna pass down. :) I'm so intimidated by editing and the judgment needed I tend to avoid it altogether. Hm. Wonder why I haven't sold anything lately. *laughs*

    Thanks for visiting, Aggie. Glad to see you here.

    ReplyDelete