Monday, June 15, 2009

angry clown shoes

official monday prompt!!

this week i'm exploring the ridiculous, the absurd, the fabulousness of satire. give this video a quick gander:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/conservatives_warn_quick_sex?utm_source=b-section

nobody does it better than the onion.

as jon stewart said: "I think of myself as a comedian who has the pleasure of writing jokes about things that I actually care about. And that's really it. You know, if I really wanted to enact social change… I have great respect for people who are in the front lines and the trenches of trying to enact social change. I am far lazier than that.

I am a tiny, neurotic man, standing in the back of the room throwing tomatoes at the chalk board. And that's really it. And what we do is we come in in the morning and we go, 'Did you see that thing last night? Aahh!' And then we spend the next 8 or 9 hours trying to take this and make it into something funny." (http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_stewart.html)

satire is extremely difficult to write well--almost as hard as writing a good love scene. but give it a go. and dang, if you can combine the two and make me laugh, you'll have earned yourself a special surprise from my coffers. i promise it'll be worth nothing on ebay. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment