Sunday, August 8, 2010

Creativity is Peeeoople!


I usually have more dry spells than wet, when it comes to writing. I don't ascribe to the idea of writer's block, really--at least, not as a diagnosis. It's a symptom of fear. Fear and writers go together, I think. We dwell as a practice on all kinds of stuff--character, plot, setting, etc--and when we're nervous, we dwell on that, too. Our brains are programmed that way. But I'm veering a little off track.

I wanted to talk about creative juice, where we get it, why it never runs out. This is a little like trying to talk about God, so keep your expectations low.

I read a blog entry recently about the question of renewable creativity: http://www.scribophile.com/blog/this-post-is-a-result-of-an-impassioned-argument/

I appreciated the question, although most of the comments posted focused on the setting argument instead (I did too, at first--Shyamalan's a compelling guy.) But it's a mystery, where our ideas come from. Some people are just born seeing the world differently, or maybe their childhood shapes it for them while their minds are malleable. I don't think creative thinking requires genius. Or knowledge. But the inclination to ask questions is crucial. Curiosity led to every advancement our species has made; that ability to imagine the impossible and find a way there climbed us to the top of the food chain. Of course, now we're doing our darnedest to extinct ourselves, but that's another topic. Veering again.

Creativity. The more we use it the easier it comes, the better we use it. Like any effort, we learn through doing. We can read about it, study others' techniques, watch biographies of great thinkers, but until we dive in and find our own way to creating, it's circumstantial. So, trying is essential--and that can be scary. Trying opens up the possibility of failing, and nobody likes that.

So, fear #1: failure. It's a universal fear, no matter what we're trying to accomplish.

Fear #2? Success. Silly, right? Why be afraid of doing something well? What could be disturbing about that? I think enough of us have been here, too, to understand. If we do something well once, we've gotta do it again. And again. The bar's been set, the expectation put out there (for everyone to see)--we've lost the freedom to fail. So we think.

Where was I going? Right. Fear stomps on creativity, and creative endeavors generate fear. It's a vicious cycle. We can lessen the intensity a bit by keeping perspective, by honing skills so every new attempt isn't as much of a crap shoot, but the uncertainty is always there to some degree. We're not creatures comfortable with uncertainty. Those of us who are (not me) accomplish greatness.

Creativity is people! Like Charleton Heston said in "Soylent Green". We do feed off of each other. Ideas, inspiration, motivation, hope, competition. Creativity can exist in a vacuum, but it gets musty in there. Plus, all the noise. We have already the ability to think openly, but I think we regenerate through interaction with the world around us. Stimulation. Maybe we don't literally eat other people, but if we did we could use that experience, too. It all goes in the pot to be swished around, processed, mutated into something useful for our purposes as writers. Or cannibals, I guess.

My remedy for fear? Stimulus.

If you sit down at the keyboard and nothing bubbles up, don't panic. Like impotence, this is the worst possible reaction. Relax. It happens to everyone. Back off for a few minutes and find something new to cram into your brain. Walk outside, listen to music, find thought-provoking articles on the internet (www.bigthink.com), watch an inspiring video presentation (www.TED.org), do something mindless and physical--whatever fires your synapses, gets you going. And if nothing comes, even then? Well, it's hopeless, I guess. (No, it's not. It will come. I promise. Our brains can't help themselves.)

That's my two cents on the subject. Anyone have more ideas to help with writing motivation? I'd love to hear them.

3 comments:

  1. Hearing certain words to help me get inspired. It does help and it in turn gives me a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being willing to fail is key. For me, that has to do with self acceptance. Anyway, I appreciate how succinctly you phrased it in your blog.
    I completely agree that creativity in a vacuum gets musty. I must remind myself to release this need to succeed. For me, that need is debilitating. I do my best creating when I'm experiencing joy not fear. Way easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @PAMO: I agree completely about self acceptance and being easier said than done. I suspect it's going to be a lifelong process. Yay? :)

    @Shigune: I like a good word. I think for me images get me going; they hit my brain in ways different from text.

    Thanks for the comments, guys!

    ReplyDelete