Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fancy Pants.

I've mentioned a few times the writer's workshop site I belong to: http://www.scribophile.com.

Lovely people, lovely feedback. It's a well-run site that's managed to retain its focus on writing while incorporating some social aspects (forums, scratchpads, profiles, email) that allow members to become even more attached to each other--a dangerous thing. But wonderful, when you need reader reaction to your work. I may be easing off daily onsite lurking in an attempt to spend more time actually writing, but that's certainly no fault of the site. The place is damned addictive, but my desire for achieving a more professional writery existence prods me like a duck with a sharp beak.

From what I hear, I'm not alone. Most writers don't have an online portfolio, using their blog instead to represent their writing to editors/agents. This, apparently, is not always the best strategy--particularly if said writers tend to blog about embarrassing body hair and/or the ugly sex they had the night before. Might work for Paul Feig, but do you really want to take the chance?

The scribophile site admins have answered this call and created a new, related-but-separate site called: http://scribblefolio.com.

This site isn't designed for direct interaction, but the creation of professional-looking profiles for writers to use as virtual business cards. No programming know-how necessary. None. I speak as someone who has trouble finding documents once I save them and I found the initial setup a breeze.

The site asks for basic information, then allots space for your writerly bio/introduction/stream-of-consciousness rambling (whatever you feel like throwing on there, professional intentions or otherwise.)

The fun part is choosing a motif from a list of about a dozen options. Each one is attractive, streamlined, geared toward a professional presentation. I hope the site adds designs over time with a bit more range, and perhaps some customizable templates, but for a brand-new site the current options are plenty to choose from and feel happy about.

Here's mine: http://lauriepaulsen.scribblefolio.com.

Rates are reasonable ($10/month), and the site is running a grand-opening special through Sep 6th. Easy way to find yourself suddenly in the possession of a professional internet presence. Kinda frightening, actually. I'm a little tipsy with power and can't wait to give someone important my site address.

edit: P.S.--Hey, 100th post!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty interesting there, Laurie. It's good to see Scribophile expanding themselves. Here's something: let all of the people on Scribophile have their own blogs, much like Writing.com, so that they can share ideas with their other writing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--scribophile's expansion is a good direction. I'm not sure I agree with your blog idea, though, only because I appreciate he emphasis the site has now on critique. If other time-intensive activities become part of the experience, it's natural that fewer people and/or less energy will be spent on the critiquing and more on the blogging. But I do like the blog option at WDC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie- I checked out your new place. Looks great! I love Scribophile and had wondered what Alex was up to.
    Your resume of published works is darned impressive.
    Congrats on your 100th post. I look forward to the next 100.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Pam! I appreciate the visit. :D
    Here's hoping the list continues to grow.
    *crosses fingers & spits*

    ReplyDelete