Thursday, August 13, 2009

feeling a bit bunged up, are we?

anyone who knows me knows i've been batting like a kitten at my first novel for the past two years--egads--determined but lost as a skink at a marmoset sleepover. at least, that's what i tell myself.

"O, but if i only knew how to work this novelling magic!! If only, i would achieve GENIUS!!!" thrusts fist into the air. "GENIUS, i tells ya!"

yyyeah. i'm learning more and more that writing is about sticktuitiveness as much as or more than creative greatness, and hitting that wall over and over is forcing me to question the whole shebang. but i don't give up completely, because that would leave me feeling even more lost than i do in the struggle--in "the shit", to be blunt and colorful.

so i spent a few minutes searching for answers, or inspiration, or a really good fish & chips recipe--because working on the next chapter would be useful--and i found this:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-3-Creative-Sinkholes&id=2344791

Valery Satterwhite discusses aspects of our lives and selves that sabotage accessing our creative GENIUS, and i'm not even exaggerating. i agree with her points, as much as it means i may have to face some prickly truths about myself. i mean, i like being comfortable. but i can't deny that considering the possibility of my own latent conflict of self interest leaves me a bit fidgety. hitting close to the bone? mebbe.

what say you? are you sabotaging your own path to greatness?

ps--for that awesome fish recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/fish-and-chips-recipe/index.html

4 comments:

  1. So Laurie, how do you live "authentically?" Maybe this is why I am so divided myself. How to live an authentic life... hmmmm. (I'm pondering...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the interesting (and more encouraging) answer is that "authentic" is a subjective term, right? only we can feel whether our lives are authentic to who we are. i've never been one to think artists must suffer to create, but i agree with not accepting complacency--to always strive to be better, to live a life rich with experience, to try to leave the world a bit better than we found it, that sorta thing. my take . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, my novel has to be written; I've no choice in the matter. I don't experience burnout as a rule, though there have been times where the creative process has been so intense I've needed to take a break. But over the past six years, those breaks amount to less than 0.1% of the total time working on it.

    I hope you can get back on track soon. I'd love to look at some of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, shawn! i hope to develop your ability to press on, keep working no matter what--someday, i'll get there.
    and i've been making progress, actually! i've finished my first draft and am now fixing plot holes and filling out subplots. after that, i'll try to edit on a micro-level to pretty up the language. that's the plan, anyway.
    i'd love for you to read some of my work, too. :D i do have several short stories available, and could shoot one of those over to you, if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete