Sunday, August 23, 2009

making real progress?

i woke up this morning, after several days of not sleeping so well (minor health issues), and my head was racing with ideas for my novel--i made notes, and some of them are meaty, add something important to the overall theme and foreshadowing to larger events. the cool thing is, that's never happened to me before. the waking up to automatic ideas. i wonder if maybe having this story in the back of my mind all the time is creating a subconscious flow. a trickle most of the time, but my brain's chewing on this project even when i'm not aware of it. that'd be super cool, because i've had trouble conceptualizing such a large story arc, and my brain helping rather than hindering may signal the turning point. maybe i'm beginning to wrap my head around this thing; and thank goodness. i only hope that once i finish this novel the next one moves faster, since i'll know how it all works together.

i'm curious--those of you who have finished your first novels, how did it go? what was progress like for you, and how long did it take?

2 comments:

  1. My first one took me forever--I spent too much time going back to edit and revise--it's still not finished. My goal now is to just keep writing and hope that one of my projects makes it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, you've stopped working on your first altogether? uh oh. but you know, i've heard from several writers that their first attempts at novels didn't pan out; they took what they learned from the experience and moved on to kick ass the second time around. fist in the air, dl! you'll get there!!

    ReplyDelete